Client Manager, Employee Benefits Division
The Client Manager provides advice and assistance requiring technical and industry knowledge and client service skills to meet client needs and resolve difficulties. Client Managers oversee the preparation of and providing renewal and new business presentations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as the initial point of contact for Clients, Carriers and others on the Client Service Team in the following areas:
- RFP review and preparation.
- Coordinate COBRA and HIPAA-related matters for clients.
- Work closely with and instruct carrier representatives to ensure smooth implementation of new plans.
- Ensure required plan information and materials are sent to the client in a timely manner.
- Guide and mentor Benefit Analysts throughout the process of gathering Client census and benefit plan information used to prepare materials for new business presentations, renewals and open enrollment meetings.
- Explain client needs and concerns focusing on how various plan designs and recommendations address those issues.
- Review renewals, new business presentations, and open enrollment materials to ensure they are accurate and complete in content, are compliant with company and regulatory guidelines, and reflect a professional appearance.
- Ensure that client files and documentation are maintained according to policy and procedures, and consistent with Barney & Barney professional standards.
- Develop analytical, customer service and communication skills needed to perform as a Client Manager II.
- Present to Client Executive the financial measures used to predict and analyze plan benefit costs, and the factors which influence those costs and premium rates.
- Under the guidance of the Client Executive, participate in prospect and renewal meetings to assess client needs, challenges and concerns.
- Learn best practices to present renewal outcomes to the client and provide recommendations based on the findings with the ultimate goal being to take on these responsibilities.
- Conduct employee open enrollment meetings to communicate benefit.
- Respond to and resolve routine issues the client may encounter regarding receipt of benefit services and coverage questions.
- Keep Client Executive apprised of potential E&O concerns and client dissatisfaction. Strategize with the Client Executive to develop possible resolutions and proactive solutions to avoid continued or future problems.
Education and/or Experience
Successful candidate will be a service oriented individual with high personal standards and a hands-on work style. This position requires an individual who is comfortable working at a varying pace, managing multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously, adjusting priorities often, and managing frequent interruptions.
This position interacts with and provides service to a large group of internal associates and has high levels of contact with external vendors. The Client Manager must be positive and approachable, and work effectively with diverse personalities. In addition, the following is required unless otherwise noted:
- Successful work history to include 3-5 years experience providing group health and benefits service while at a brokerage, general agency or a carrier.
- Bachelor degree strongly preferred.
- Proficiency with personal computers and Microsoft Office applications (i.e., Word, Excel and PowerPoint) to include work experience creating tables, charts, graphs, pivot tables and formulas. The ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Strong knowledge of employee health insurance carriers, their strengths and weaknesses, plan design features as well as the general factors which affect cost and plan design.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to provide non-technical explanations to technical matters, and summarize and present information in a clear, concise and accurate written and verbal format.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve problems and present results neatly and with clarity. Demonstrated ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
- Maintain a valid, unrestricted California Life & Disability License and meet continuing education requirements.
- Maintain a valid Drivers License & have reliable transportation.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- Ability to use computer keyboard and sit in a stationary position for extended periods.
- Work is performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- Travel to client sites is required. Usually within driving distance, but occasionally consists of 2-5 overnight trips per year covering areas both in and out of state.
Click HERE for PDF version.