2018 Legislative News
December 20, 2017 - Tax Cut and Jobs Act of 2017 Becomes Law
March 24, 2017 - The American Health Care Act Withdrawn Prior to House Vote
Legislative Compliance Newsletters
1. Final Rule Issued on Short-Term, Limited-Duration Insurance
2. Question of the Month: Can the Benefit Booklet Provided by Our Plan’s Insurer Serve as the SPD?
1. Massachusetts Passes Paid Family and Medical Leave Law
2. Compliance Reminder: Form 5500 Filings Due July 31, 2018 for Calendar Year Plans
3. Question of the Month: For Purposes of the Form 5500 Small Plan Filing Exemption, How Do We Show That Our Welfare Benefit Plan Is Going Above or Dropping Below the 100-Participant Threshold?
1. IRS Releases Affordability Percentage for 2019
2. IRS Creates Webpage to Help Applicable Large Employers Understand Letter 227
3. New Jersey Adopts Individual Mandate
4. Duluth, Minnesota Enacts Paid Sick and Safe Leave Ordinance
5. Compliance Reminder: PCORI Fee Due to IRS by July 31, 2018
6. Question of the Month: Can We Satisfy the COBRA Initial Notice Requirement by Including the Notice in Our SPD
1. IRS Releases Maximum Annual HSA and HDHP Limits for 2019
2. New Jersey Enacts Paid Sick Leave Law
3. Proposed FAQs about Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity and Implementation of the 21st Century Cures Act
4. Question of the Month: Is Form 5500 Filing Required for Voluntary Employee-Pay-All Insurance?
1. HHS Releases Final Benefit and Payment Parameters for 2019: Update to Maximum Out-of-Pocket Limits
2. CMS Extends Transition Relief for Non-Compliant Small Group/Individual Plans for Another Year
3. Compliance Reminder: San Francisco Health Care Security Ordinance Annual Report Due April 30, 2018
4. Question of the Month: What Health FSA Design and Operational Issues Should We Watch Out for to Comply with the Benefits Test Under the Code Section 105(h) Nondiscrimination Requirements?
1. IRS Reduces 2018 Limits for HSA Adoption Programs
2. Austin, Texas Passes Paid Sick Leave Ordinance
3. HHS Releases 2018 Federal Poverty Guidelines
4. IRS Releases Guidance on Health Savings Accounts: State Requirements for Health Coverage for No Cost Sharing For Male Contraceptives and Sterilization
5. Question of the Month: Will Owners Be Able to Participate in the HRA?
1. Maryland Enacts Paid Sick and Safe Time Law
2. Reminder: CMS Medicare Part D Disclosure
3. Question of the Month: Does an Employee’s Prior Consent to Electronic Furnishing of Form W-2 Also Apply to Receiving Form 1095-C Electronically?
1. Deadline to Furnish Form 1095-Cs/1095-Bs Extended and Good Faith Relief
2. Penalties Increase for ERISA Violations
3. Fringe Benefit Changes: Bike Reimbursements, Transit and Parking Benefits
4. Seattle Amends Paid Sick and Safe Time Law
5. Question of the Month: Can We Reimburse Dependent Care Expenses Incurred After an Employee’s DCAP Participation Terminates?
1. DOL Extends Applicability Date of the Final Rule For Disability Benefit Claims Procedures
2. San Francisco Updates HCSO Waiver Form
3. Question of the Month: Does a Midyear Change to a Plan’s Deductible Require an Update to the SBC?
1. IRS Releases Annual Inflation Adjustments for 2018
2. HHS Releases FAQs Addressing the Notice Requirements Under Section 1557 of the ACA
3. California Extends Parental Leave to Small Employers
4. New Regulations Expand Employer Exemptions to Contraceptive Services
5. HHS and CMS Announce Discontinuance of Cost-Sharing Subsidies in the Marketplace
6. Departments Issue Additional Guidance on QSEHRAs
7. New York City Expands Coverage Under Sick Leave Law to Include Safe Time
8. California Passes Law Requiring Increased Transparency on Prescription Drug Pricing
9. Question of the Month: Can HSA Contributions Continue After an Employee Ceases to be HSA-Eligible?
1. IRS Releases Final Versions of Forms 1094/1095 B & C and Instructions for 2017
2. IRS Announces New PCORI Fee Amount
3. DOL Extends the Applicability Date of the Final Rule for Disability Claims Procedures
4. IRS No Longer Accepts “Silent” Tax Returns
5. Rhode Island Enacts Paid Sick and Safe Leave Law
6. Question of the Month: Can Our Company’s DCAP Reimburse Day-Care Expenses for a Child of an Employee’s Domestic Partner?
1. IRS Issues Inflationary Adjustments to the Individual Mandate Penalty for 2017
2. Massachusetts Governor Signs Bill Increasing Employer Medical Assistance Contributions
3. Question of the Month: What Happens to Employees’ HSAs If They Drop or Lose Their HDHP Coverage?
1. Draft Versions of 2017 Forms 1094/1095
2. Increase in 2017 Service Contract Act Health & Welfare Fringe Benefits Rate
3. Washington State Passes Paid Family and Medical Leave Law
4. State of New York Adopts Paid Family Leave Final Regulations
5. Question of the Month: Can Our Health FSA Reimburse Insurance Premiums Paid by Our Employees?
1. Updated Guidelines for Preventive Services
2. Nevada Passes Domestic Violence Leave and Reasonable Accommodation Law
3. Question of the Month: Do We Have to Provide SPDs to Health and Welfare Plan Participants Every Year?
1. IRS Releases Memorandum on Fixed Payment Programs
2. San Francisco Provides Guidance for Paid Parental Leave Ordinance
3. Texas Passes Legislation Expanding Telehealth
4. Compliance Reminder: PCORI Fee Due to the IRS by July 31, 2017
5. Question of the Month: Can a Qualified Transportation Plan Reimburse Employees’ Expenses for Carpooling With Their Own Vehicles?
1. IRS Releases Maximum Annual HSA and HDHP Limits for 2018
2. IRS Releases Affordability Percentages
3. DOL Clarifies ERISA Disability Claims and Appeals Procedures
4. Final Rule Issued on Market Stabilization for Health Insurance Exchanges
5. Georgia Enacts Law Permitting Use of Paid Sick Leave to Care for Family Members
6. Washington D.C. Enacts Paid Parental and Family Leave
7. Compliance Reminder: Health Insurance Provider Fee Will Return in 2018
1. City of Los Angeles Updates Paid Sick Leave Rules
2. IRS Issues Inflationary Adjustments to the Employer Mandate
3. Link to HCSO 2016 Reporting Form Released
4. Question of the Month: Who Must Receive SPDs for ERISA Welfare Plans?
1. CMS Releases Proposed Rules on Market Stabilization for Health Insurance Exchanges
2. California Short term Disability and Paid Family Leave Set to Increase in 2018
3. New York Clarifies Paid Family Leave Benefits
4. IRS Reaffirms Extension to Furnish Written QSEHRA Notice
5. ACA Transition Relief Policy Extended Through 2018
6. Compliance Reminder: San Francisco Health Care Annual Reports Due April 30, 2017
7. Question of the Month: Is Our Self-Insured Health Plan Subject to the Section 1557 Nondiscrimination Rules?
1. IRS Will Accept “Silent” Tax Returns
2. IRS Releases Memorandum on Income Received Through Fixed Indemnity Health Plans
3. DOL Federal Civil Penalties Inflation Adjustments 2017
4. Four New Draft Bills Reflect GOP Approach to Health Care Reform
5. IRS Proposes Revisions to Definition of Dependent
6. Maximum Weekly Benefit Increases for California and San Francisco Paid Parental and Family Leave
7. Illinois Amends Employee Sick Leave Act
8. Compliance Reminder: Online CMS Disclosure Due by March 1, 2017
9. Compliance Reminder: Deadline to File and Furnish Reporting Forms Fast Approaching
10. Question of the Month: How Does an Employer Comply with HIPAA’s Privacy Rule When Reporting Health Plan Enrollment Information on Form 1095-C?
1. FAQs on the Affordable Care Act: Special Enrollment, Preventative Services, and Small Employer HRAs
2. FAQs on the Affordable Care Act: Integrating Family Health Reimbursement Arrangements
3. Final Notice of Benefit and Payment Parameters for 2018: Maximum Out-of-Pocket Limits
4. Washington D.C. Council Passes Paid Parental, Family, and Medical Leave Bill
5. Question of the Month: What is the Form 1094/1095 Filing Obligation of Affiliated Employers in an Aggregated ALE Group?
For previous newsletters, visit our archive.