Risk Consultant, Business Insurance Division
Under minimal direction of the Director, Risk & Loss Advisors, and taking into consideration the client’s readiness and ability to consider expanded and/or alternate methods of managing their prevention and safety programs, the Risk Consultant will provide a wide range of services for clients to include developing and supporting strategies to enhance the client’s risk management, accident prevention and safety programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in occasional client meetings to provide expertise regarding the firm’s ability to provide risk and loss services.
- Attend sales calls at the request of the sales team to demonstrate how the service team can assist prospective clients with accident prevention, regulatory compliance and large exposure minimization.
- Attend service calls to initiate elements of an established service plan or to help with projects and services in progress.
- Provide effective loss control and value added services for World Class clients.
- Design and maintain various safety and health programs including, but not limited to, Injury and Illness Prevention Programs, Ergonomic Programs, Emergency Response Planning, Hazard Communications and Food borne Illness.
- Develop training curriculum and training materials customized appropriately to the client’s industry, pertaining to defined priorities regarding their risk, claims history and operational needs.
- Train client staff on a myriad of safety topics; presenting to employees in a wide variety of settings to include professional office environments, construction sites, manufacturing, transportation and light industry locations such as warehouses.
- Collaborating with the client to develop cost containment programs addressing workers’ compensation and general liability claims reduction.
- Provide oversight and guidance to the client through regular site visits to ensure relevant programs are being implemented and providing the outcomes as outlined
- Create quarterly service plan goals with the producer and client to ensure effective client policy and procedures are monitored and progressing appropriately.
- Maintain current knowledge level of safety regulations, industry trends, and transpiring safety issues in the safety/risk management industry.
- Establish file maintenance with documentation of account services within the ABS system, shared drive and other appropriate systems.
- Maintain computer based calendaring system of events to track client activity and critical dates in order to manage commitments.
- Prepare reports of activities and job progress to Director, Risk & Loss Advisors on a monthly basis.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with all Associates, vendors, regulatory agencies, and clients.
- Keep abreast of trends and changing regulations within the industry by attending seminars or classes relevant to the Risk Consultant position.
- Other Risk Consultant duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
Successful candidate will be a service oriented individual with high personal standards and a hands-on work style. This position requires comfort working at a varying pace, managing multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously, adjusting priorities often, and managing frequent interruptions.
This position interacts with and provides service to a large number of varying industries and exposures and has high levels of contact with external clients. The Risk Consultant must be positive and approachable, and work effectively with diverse personalities. In addition, the following is required:
- Successful work history to include 3-5 years directly related consulting experience in loss prevention, risk management, progressive safety/health field, and regulatory requirement compliance.
- Current knowledge and understanding of State and Federal industry standards for employee health and safety requirements within one or more of the firm’s practice group industries (i.e., clients within Construction, Healthcare, TechLife, etc.)
- Bachelor degree required, preferably with a focus in the field of environmental management, risk management, safety management, public health or similar.
- Obtain and maintain a credential or license related to occupational safety and health or loss control which meets industry standards or other insurance specialty areas.
- Advanced knowledge, skills and experience in a specialized field, service planning and delivery, risk assessment, risk analysis, solutions management and progress measurement.
- Fully effective interpersonal, writing and other communication skills required to develop and maintain relationships with customers, peers, and industry contacts.
- Demonstrated ability to retrieve and enter information using various proprietary software applications and create/modify documents and complex spreadsheets using Microsoft Office suite.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve problems and present results neatly, with clarity and precision in oral and written form.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, plan, and implement short and long range goals.
- Maintain a valid Driver’s License and have reliable transportation.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- 50%-70% travel is required to client locations, including overnight and multiple days away. Travel will require the use of a personal vehicle.
- Ability to use computer keyboard and sit in a stationary position for extended periods.
- This is a physically active position requiring the ability to stoop and bend regularly, and walk long distances during workplace and jobsite inspections. This may include walking on uneven surfaces, climbing ladders possibly entering confined spaces while wearing specialized personal protective safety equipment.
- Ability to stand for long periods at a time (4-8 hours) to conduct client seminars and training.
- Extended work hours (10-12 hrs/day) required on occasion due to attendance and participation at networking and industry functions that begin well before the workday, and may extend well into the evening.
- Must be able to wear appropriate safety equipment while conducting onsite safety inspections, and audits
Click HERE for PDF version.